Thursday, 18 June 2009

The Girl


Every night I read stories to my four-year-old -- sometimes classics like Dr. Seuss, sometimes modern favourites like "Click Clack Moo." Sometimes they are kids' science books, sometimes she asks for maps of the world. Recently we have moved into books for older kids, with fewer pictures -- Pippi Longstockings, Winnie-the-Pooh, The Noisy Village -- and we have a shelf of books waiting for her, like the Little House series. She can make out some words by herself, and I encourage her to try as much as she can, feeling as though she almost has it.

Tonight we talked about punctuation, and I explained that "!" was an exclamation point.

"I have an exclamation point," she said.

Where? I asked.

"Right here," she said, pointing to the scar where she was recently vaccinated.

Well, the ones on the paper are used when you feel something strongly, I said -- like when something hurts.

"My exclamation point feels like that sometimes," she said.

Photo: The Girl and myself (photo not current).

No comments: