Thursday, 5 December 2013

Best of The Girl 8


I'm just revisiting some of The Girl's early years; this is the last one, and then we'll be back. 

Friday, 27 November 2009

Thanksgiving is solely an American phenomenon, so this is just another workday here, but there was a thankful gathering here recently - a friend of the family died after a long illness, and soon their home was filled with celebrants.

Yes, celebrants. That is the nature of an Irish wake, which I remember fondly from my own family, and which runs deep in the culture here. A whole community gathers at the home of the dead, to laugh, cry, drink -- sometimes too much -- and give thanks that we knew them. Everyone's culture has its own rituals, but this seems to me the right way to go.

In the wake of the wake, The Girl has been asking a lot of questions.

“Papa, what does it feel like to die?”

I don’t know firsthand, honey – I’ve never died.

“Why do we have to die?”

If we didn’t, no new babies could be born.

“I wish it didn’t have to end, though.”

I know. But that’s what gives it value.

2 comments:

foodnstuff said...

I've really enjoyed these pieces from the past. I remember some of them, so must have been reading for quite a while.

Brian Kaller said...

Food,

Time goes so quickly, doesn't it? Glad you're still reading.